Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Happiness

My very favorite blog, The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, has repeatedly addressed the concept of "fun" and one's ability to find what is fun for him or her. One of the tips she gives to help find your fun, if you don't already know what it is, is to think about what you did for fun when you were 10 years old. I wrote a lot. I think that has always been my fun, but I very rarely continue doing it on a regular basis for more than a few weeks at a time. Another faction of fun Rubin considers is that someone else's fun is not necessarily your own, and that you should try not to feel guilty about it. For instance, I don't enjoy snowshoeing. I usually feel guilty at all times of most days including when I acknowledge that I don't love walking around in the cold at night for the sole purpose of doing just that, but Rubin's point is that I should try not to feel horrible about it. Another example: I might go so far as to imagine that a lot of people don't consider self-diagnosis from the DSM-IV-TR to be particularly enjoyable, where I could do it on a weekly basis. Might be telling as to why my favorite blog is called "The Happiness Project."
Any thoughts? Does anyone else upset themselves when they don't love the same things as the people around them love?


Band: Lucy Michelle & The Velvet Lapelles.

No comments:

Post a Comment